My Newest Challenge!

The All You Grocery Challenge! Last month, I registered as a participant in this challenge which started Monday, July 13. As a participant, I agreed to commit to feeding my family of five on less than $125 per week and save my receipts. Easy, huh? Did I mention that includes eating out? You can follow my progress for the next 3 1/2 weeks....

This challenge did not begin quite the way I had hoped, but such is life! On Monday, I made an unplanned stop for lunch. It totaled $9.28 for three kids and myself. And, upon leaving the drive thru, I realized that I did not get a receipt. I did pay with a MC and can print the transaction from on-line if that is acceptable.

My intent was to shop Monday evening when my husband could watch the kids. However, he needed our vehicle for much of the evening so he just picked up a loaf of wheat bread and a gallon of milk while he was out (totaling $3.87).

By Tuesday, I was sick and not up to shopping or anything else. I did force myself to make a run to our healthfood store for gluten free bread ($5.49 per loaf! Yes, per loaf!) and noticed some discounted cucumbers that I grabbed as well ($11.67 total).

The gluten free bread is a very small loaf and very expensive, but very necessary as G and I are gluten intolerent. I have downloaded some GF recipes that I found on-line to make our own bread and hope to try some in the next week. This would be a huge relief to our grocery budget. Living gluten free on a modest budget takes considerable effort and planning!

By Wednesday afternoon, I was starting to feel somewhat better and did our major shopping for the week. I went to both Walmart ($14.94) and Meijer ($30.13 after coupons, bottle returns and sales.) My kids were such great troopers – I treated them to drinks at Arby’s and two of my kids enjoyed the free sandwiches ($6.32 for 4 drinks and 4 sandwiches)!

To date, I have spent $76.21. That leaves me with a well stocked pantry, fridge and freezer and $48.79 to go through Sunday. Week 2 begins on Monday.

Today, Jon informed me that he will be working out of state next week with no food/travel compensation. Herein lies the greatest challenge yet....do I let him buy his own food and hope for the best or do I shop sometime early Monday (like 12:01 a.m.) so that I can stock him with food before he has to leave and hopefully not go over budget for the week. He will have only a cooler and coffee pot. I'll have to think on that one!

No comments: