The Lucky Dog

They called him Scooter-Booter! Seriously?! We were committed to making him a part of our family, but that name wouldn’t do! On December 26, 2014, we introduced Miler to the world. The world of Facebook, that is.

Miler had a new name, a new stuffed squeaky toy, a family that adored him, plentiful food and water and lots of exercise. What more could a dog want? He seemed to adjust well to his new life. After about a month of transition, we heard him bark for the first time. And then we started to see the “old” that came with the new. We had adopted an insecure, whiney, passive-aggressive Australian Cattle dog.

Frequently, I remind Miler just how lucky he is to be a part of our family. Who else would put up with his whining, demanding and selfish ways? Who else would love him despite his threatening and defensive attitude? Yup, he is one lucky dog.

One morning, Miler was watching my husband prepare for work. Jon pulled on his hoodie and then put on a cap. Miler lost it! He was whining, barking and cowering. Jon spoke to him in soothing tones to no avail. When Jon came to say good bye to me, Miler placed himself between me and my man with fear and trembling. Miler was literally shaking.

I don’t know what Miler experienced during his first three years of life. I assume he had an abusive and traumatic start. His former life, a far cry from the present. But his former response is ever present.

Maybe I am not all that unlike my pathetic dog.

I have a Master. An amazing, loving, kind, forgiving, strong and protective Master who abundantly provides for my every need. I know Him. I can trust Him.

Change the circumstances and I tend to forget all that I know to be true. I respond with my old self – fearful, anxious, worried, doubtful, insecure, angry.

My Master didn’t change. He is still the amazing, loving, kind, forgiving, strong and protective Master who abundantly provides for my every need.

Shouldn’t I trust Him in every circumstance?

I am so blessed to be a part of my Master’s family. He rescued me from certain death. He puts up with my whining, demanding and selfish ways. He loves me despite wrongful attitudes and behavior. I can trust Him. I don’t have to live in fear or uncertainty. He is good to me.

Maybe, just maybe, I am the lucky dog.

No comments: