What's A Mom To Do?

Balancing family and work is a challenge! When I have a sick child, I feel torn between being a mom providing for my child's health and comfort and being a dependable employee assisting the educational needs of other people's children. Usually, my child wins.

Today is such a day. My amazing G has struggled with headaches for years. When she came home from school yesterday, it wasn't long before she voluntarily went to bed. We made several attempts to awaken her, but she ended up sleeping most of the night until morning. And the headache still persisted in addition to a sore throat and coughing. She ate, took some ibuprofen, and waited for it to kick in. School is not something she wants to miss. After the bus came, the headache was still going strong. Not feeling well myself, I encouraged her to stay home and rest for the day. This is my sleeping beauty, my strong, optimistic daughter, resting on the couch, but fully prepared for reading in the event that her headache diminishes.

Thankfully, my current employment permits me to take time off for sick children. I realize that is not the case for so many working moms. I am extremely thankful to have a job that I love and that allows me to be a mom first.

As far as the headaches go, G is keeping a "Headache Journal" and we have a follow up appointment with a DR. next week.

No comments: